Registration Requirements – Step-by-step Instructions for Online Questions
The requirements to submit this information are located in UCA 67-1a-15. All of the questions coincide with the information required to be gathered under this section of code.
Question 1. “Please select the type of Limited Purpose Entity or Local Government Entity you are registering“
This refers to the type of entity you fall under as defined in UCA 67-1a-15. Please see the entity terms and links to definitions below to establish your entity type.
Limited Purpose Entities are listed as follows:
(A) area agencies, area agencies on aging, and area agencies on high risk adults, as those terms are defined in Section 62A-3-101
(B) charter schools created under Title 53G, Chapter 5, Charter Schools
(C) community reinvestment agencies, as that term is defined in Section 17C-1-102
(D) conservation districts, as that term is defined in Section 17D-3-102
(E) *governmental nonprofit corporations, as that term is defined in Section 11-13a-102
(F) housing authorities, as that term is defined in Section 35A-8-401
(G) independent entities and independent state agencies, as those terms are defined in Section 63E-1-102
(H) interlocal entities, as that term is defined in Section 11-13-103
(I) local building authorities, as that term is defined in Section 17D-2-102
(J) local districts, as that term is defined in Section 17B-1-102
(K) local health departments, as that term is defined in Section 26A-1-102
(L) local mental health authorities, as that term is defined in Section 62A-15-102
(M) *nonprofit corporations that receive an amount of money requiring an accounting report under Section 51-2a-201.5
(N) school districts under Title 53G, Chapter 3, School District Creation and Change
(O) special service districts, as that term is defined in Section 17D-1-102
(P) substance abuse authorities, as that term is defined in Section 62A-15-102
*Nonprofits – If you have a question regarding your requirement to file, please refer to this section of code for further clarification.
*Governmental Nonprofits – please use this decision tree or contact the Utah State Auditors’ Office.
Local Governmental Entities are as follows:
(A) A county, as the term is defined in Section 17-50-101
(B) A municipality, as that term is defined in Section 10-1-104
Question 2. “Please enter the name of the Limited Purpose Entity or Local Government Entity you are registering”
• Please list the name exactly as it listed on the creation document. The name should not be condensed or paraphrased.
Question 3. “Briefly describe your entity’s governmental function”
• The entity’s purpose can be either statutorily defined or listed on the creation document.
• This explanation can be brief but must be concise.
Question 4. “Select the county or counties in which your entity’s geographical boundaries lie”
• As required by statute the Lt. Governor’s Office must notify each county when the entity’s registration is complete. Selecting “Statewide” will insure that each county will receive notice of your entity’s statewide boundary.
• If you are unsure of this, please cross reference with your entity’s map or plat, or locate the county in which the entity has a physical address.
Question 5. “Please upload the entity’s creation document, or conclusive proof of the entity’s lawful creation”
• If your entity was created by a governing body, there will be a creation document which you will upload.
• If your entity was created by the legislature, simply upload the referenced code that names your entity in the legislation.
• If your entity was created by any other means, please confer with your administration to locate a document that would be considered “conclusive proof” of your entity’s existence.
• Entity’s that have recently filed boundary adjustments with the Lt. Governor’s Office may be able to find recent copies here.
• Municipalities may be able to find creation documents here.
Question 6. “If your entity has geographical boundaries, please upload the entity’s map or plat, or reasonable proof of boundaries“
• You may skip this question if you are a nonprofit, charter school, independent state or a local agency.
• For all other entities please contact your county recorder or AGRC for information regarding geographical boundaries.
• Entities that have recently filed boundary adjustments with the Lt. Governor’s Office may be able to find recent copies here.
Question 7. “Please enter the entity’s website”
• If your entity has a website, please list it here.
Question 8. “Please enter the entity’s physical address”
• Please list the address the general public will have access to
• It can be different from your mailing address
Question 9. “Please enter entity’s mailing address”
• This address will be used if our office is unable to contact you through other means, such as phone or email.
• Leave blank if this address is the same as your physical address
Question 10. “Please enter entity’s main phone number”
• This phone number will be the number listed for the general public, this number does not have to be the designated contact’s phone number
Question 11. “Please enter the designated Primary Contact’s information for registration related inquiries”
• The designated primary contact is a statutory requirement for the purpose of contacting the entity with questions related to the registration.
• The full name of the contact should be entered
• The email address of the contact should be entered
• The phone number of the contact should be entered
• This information is critical in maintaining a direct line of communication with the Lt. Governor’s Office. Without this information the Lt. Governor’s Office will not be able to contact the entity regarding any deficiencies or registration status changes
Question 12. “Please indicate the source of your entity’s revenue”
• Most entities either receive legislative funding, receive taxes in the area they service, or charge a fee for the services being provided. Therefore, the 2 options are listed as “taxes” or “fees”.
• If you feel there is another option describing your funding received please leave a comment at the end of the survey.
Question 13. “Please enter the name and the method in which they are elected, appointed, or otherwise designated, of each governing body member (e.g. board member, commissioner, managing officer and other similar manager) of the entity. If none, re-enter the designated contact’s name.”
• This list must be complete and include every board, chair and commissioner currently seated in your entity
• This list must be updated within 30 days of your governing body change
• You do not need to list employees who are not “managing officers”
Question 14. “Please upload information regarding any assessment areas created by your entity”
• “Assessment area” means an area, or, if more than one area is designated, the aggregate of all areas within a local entity’s jurisdictional boundaries that is designated by a local entity under Part 2, Designating an Assessment Area, for the purpose of financing the costs of improvements, operation and maintenance, or economic promotion activities that benefit property within the area.
Question 15. Attestation
• It is very important that the information submitted to the Lt. Governor’s Office is complete and accurate. The Lt. Governor’s Office is charged with finding any deficiencies within the submission. Inaccuracies will lead to delays in the registration.